Some people call it flow, some call it passion, some just feeling “on”. It’s the inspiration that drives us to fulfill our calling, to stay on our path. That whisper in the wind that makes us smile because we KNOW. It is the true fuel of life.
But, what happens when you feel like you’ve lost it? It can feel completely depleting, like desperation, or even depression. Like you’ve lost that ever trusty companion. It could be for a day, a week, or maybe you’ve even been lost in the middle of a vast emptiness that is a dark night of the soul. No matter where you are in your lost-ness, it can feel as though you will never find your mojo again.
I’m here to tell you hope is not lost sister. Sometimes you just have to change your perspective. Let’s poke around a bit in the dark and see if we can’t spark some fire. Here are 10 glorious ways you can get your flow back!
- Stop. Yep, that’s it. Take 5 minutes to stop everything you are doing and just breathe. Just BE for 5 minutes. You don’t have to find a meditation room or yoga studio for this. Just sit in your car, eyes closed for 5 minutes (parked, of course). Close your office door, go to the restroom, or walk outside. Just breath. That 5 minutes can be transformative.
- Put YOU first. Instead of pushing through your day and your to-do list and THEN taking 5 minutes for yourself. Today, switch it up. Stop everything on your to-do list., or even get up an hour earlier, I promise it will be worth it. Go do something just for you. Get your nails or hair done, go to a coffeeshop, read a book for 30 minutes in your favorite park, or take a blanket to the beach.
- Go on a date ALONE. Seriously, take yourself to a cafe, a nice restaurant, or even a movie. You could even buy yourself flowers. They will serve as a reminder all week how important you really are to the most important person in your life…you.
- Be creative. Do something you might not typically do. Draw, write, sing, dance, paint, go to a pottery class, or painting studio. If you can’t think of anything else, go grab a coloring book and color! There are great coloring books for adults, some that have affirmations that are inspiring too! Just the act of coloring can help you to change your perspective.
- Write a letter. There are several ways you can use this tool. You could write a letter from your future self, the one you desire to be, to your now self. You’ve got this! Don’t forget that the Universe has your back and is working tirelessly on your behalf to help you realize your dreams. You could also use this as a forgiveness tool to write letters to anyone you feel is standing in your way…including YOU.
- Go for a walk. Try to be as present as you can while walking. Taking in the day, your surroundings, the sounds, the smells, the feeling of your feet hitting the ground. TIP: If you can, walk barefoot…it helps you to be more present.
- Go try on clothes. You don’t have to purchase anything. Do your hair and makeup and go to a store where you desire to shop. Try on outfits that help you FEEL the way you will when you are living your DESIRED life. Don’t forget to snap a selfie to look back on and remind yourself how awesome you are!
- Exercise. This is always a good one. Really the idea is to get your body in motion. It’s the motion that really helps to shake things up. Go to a yoga class, go for a run, pick it up with a little Zumba or spin class. Go for a bike ride, or just put music on and dance around your living room for an hour! Just move, baby, move!
- Plant something. Planting is a great way to literally cultivate something new and beautiful. If you don’t have a garden space, just put a few pots on the window sill. Maybe even one if aren’t really sure about your green thumb. As you plant your new flower, herb, or vegetable, put an intention of your own in the soil. If it’s a new business, job, or relationship, plant it and watch it grow. This is a great reminder that the Universe is working…you can watch as your dreams grow. Using this method tends to be a great way to tend to your own desires, adding water and sunshine.
- Journal. Write uninterrupted for 15 minutes. Try to do it without even lifting your pen. You can type as well. The idea is free flow, you write every single word that pops into your mind. Don’t censor or correct spelling and grammar. Just write. If you are worrying too much this is a great way to get all of your worries out of the way so that new and great solutions can fill the space you’ve just created.
- BONUS TIP: Work with a Life Coach! As a coach, I work with amazing women daily to find their flow and create the amazing and empowered lives of their dreams. A coach can help you to find your way through the clutter and limiting beliefs that you are using to keep yourself small and out of flow. I love my own coach for her ability to help me right my ship when I’ve blown off course. Coaches can be an invaluable resource to help you truly LIVE BIG, and be the YOU that you’ve always known you are meant to BE.
Use any of these tools on your own to help you to see with a new perspective. Remember that happiness is a choice and you can choose each and every moment how you desire to show up, who you desire to be, and what you desire to focus on.
Believe. IN YOU